Housed in an early 1800s tavern, the Kingman Tavern Museum facility consists of a furnished house and several outbuildings housing over 5000 artifacts depicting Cummington history from the late 1700s to the mid-1900s. Most
items were lovingly donated by Cummington families in honor of their ancestors. While the rich display is not categorized by discrete time period, it collectively presents a mosaic of 200 years of farm, industrial and domestic life in a small western Massachusetts hilltown.
The two story house, used as a tavern in the early19th century, includes a replica of a well-stocked general store, a kitchen, parlor rooms and bedrooms, as well as rooms dedicated to textiles, military history, light industry, milinery and clothing.
The large two-story barn has an exceptional collection of hand and farm tools, arranged in categories of use from Delco generators which provided electricity to farms before its arrival in1945 to survey equipment used by William Packard and his father Adam from the late 1700s into the 1800s. The 1840’s Cider Mill with its wooden gears is in working condition except for the press. The Carriage Shed has an ox-shoeing frame, a snow roller for roads, a school bus on runners for winter use, an ice cutter, and a butter and egg wagon.
The Kingman Tavern Museum is open Saturdays in July and August from 2-5 pm. Tours are free an ongoing during this time. Donations are always welcome but not required.
Special tours are available by appointment.
41 Main St
Cummington, MA 01026
Open Saturdays in July and August.